Food is kryptonite to most and the hardest to understand when it comes to weight loss. Luckily I am here to help you conquer your food dilemma with these few tips.
1. Eat frequently. Yes the number one secret to boosting your metabolism is to eat often. How much? Approximately every 3-4 hours. In the beginning it may be hard to get your body adjusted to eating more but your body should accommodate to it rather quickly. Eating more frequently, in addition to boosting your metabolism, will also helps you maintain muscle mass, regulate your blood sugar levels and keeps you more focused. Just Eat!
2. Plates matter. When making your plate of food, make sure you have a standard sized plate and not an oversized one. Larger plates can cause you to consume more calories and consequently make you overeat. Try using a smaller plate, if you tend to eat an excess of foods. Read my guide on rations here to see how much of each food group you should eat.
3. Eating 1 cookie won't ruin your day. You've been eating healthy for 3 days and you accidentally slip up and eat 1 fry, oh no what will you do? Live! It is important to understand that indulging once will not ruin your entire diet for the year. In fact, cheat days are a great way to reward yourself for your hard work. It is important however not to make frequent cheating a habit because that is where your diet can really get messed up.
4. Stop eating! Well when you are full. It is important to eat slowly and to listen to your body until you feel full. Yes stop stuffing yourself. Most Americans overeat because the availability of food and because quite frankly, food taste amazing. However, if you are trying to lose weight it's imperative that you listen to your body. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full.
5. Diets are dumb. And ineffective. "low-carb diet", "drink lemon water with 1 tbsp of ketchup to lose weight", "cut- out all fats". These trends and fads not only encourage unhealthy and unusual eating habits but it is not sustainable for any human. Truth is, you need food from every food group to be able to sustain a healthy lifestyle. Cutting out food groups may temporary give you results but in the long run can cause you health problems and create deficiencies in vital nutrients or vitamins. Eating a balanced diet from all the food groups is the most effective and sustainable way to get healthy.
Read Part 2 here